Streamlining management efforts in Protected Areas for enhanced nature conservation in the Mediterranean
The objective of the Mediterranean Biodiversity Protection Community (MBPC), PANACeA second phase, is to streamline networking and management efforts in Mediterranean Protected Areas (PAs) as a mechanism to enhance nature conservation and protection in the region.
The project aims at ensuring synergies between relevant Mediterranean stakeholders – managers, policymakers, socio-economic actors, civil society and the scientific community, and to increase the visibility and impacts of their projects’ results towards common identified strategical targets.
MBPC acts as a Science-Policy-Interface (SPI) to foster the exchange of experiences and knowledge sharing and thus, to influence a behavioural and policy change in the Mediterranean region.
Mediterranean Biodiversity Protection Community, builds a community of nature conservation stakeholders in the Mediterranean and acts as the Communication and Capitalisation instrument of the projects dealing with protection of biodiversity and natural ecosystems. Through its tool, the Mediterranean Biodiversity Protection Knowledge Platform, MBPC ensures the transfer of synthesised projects’ outcomes and their dissemination across and beyond the region.
Main Objectives of Biodiversity Protection Community
- Synthesizing outcomes on natural protection and biodiversity conservation efforts;
- Engaging a stakeholders’ community and transferring knowledge beyond the project's lifetime;
- Implementing a communication and dissemination strategy;
- Developing a long term capitalization tool ensuring evidence based policy enforcement.
Expected results of Biodiversity Protection Community
- engage its stakeholders in the tailoring of their outcomes as synthesized evidence based tools that support multi-level management and policy;
- provide a series of recommendations based on the results of the Interreg MED Modular projects emphasizing the importance of increasing the number of Protected Areas implementing management strategies in the MED region and beyond;
- ensure means to reinforce regulations and enhance the effectiveness of protection awarded by legal channels in the Mediterranean, supporting the efforts so far to prevent deterioration and strengthen the conservation of both natural and cultural resources;
- guide the legal management measures of natural resources in the Mediterranean Sea that actually protect biodiversity but whose main purpose is not strictly biodiversity conservation;
- address transboundary cooperation and integration of PAs in territorial development strategies to achieve interconnected protection measures and tackle current and future pressures on coastal and maritime ecosystems in the Mediterranean.
For any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us: panacea-med[at]uma.es